Hutton House at 60!
View the following video to learn more about the history of Hutton House from its beginnings as a dream in the 1950s through to present day. The 9:45 min video uses archive photos and recent video to tell the story.
October 1952: The Association of Handicapped Adults was established.
October 1953: The Association became incorporated.
1952 – 1954: Twenty-six handicapped adults enjoyed an activity program operated 3 mornings a week out of the YMCA Annex. Funding was provided by service clubs, church auxiliaries and public donations.
August 1954: An H-Hut at Wolsey Barracks was donated and moved to 704 Quebec Street. 35 adults attended twice weekly classes with lessons in leather work, weaving, jewellery making, felt, hooked rugs, ceramics and shell work. In that year, the workshop earned $500.
1971 – 1973: The Association negotiated with the City of London to purchase the Hutton Road School property through a $50,000 grant from the City.
September 1973: Hutton House relocated from Quebec Street to 654 Hutton Road. A 5 day workshop program was introduced for 38 handicapped individuals. Life skills, education and work became the goals of the Association. Annual funding was received from the Ministry of Community and Social Services under the Vocational Rehabilitation Services Act.
1985: The front half of the property was sold and construction of a 15,000 square foot building began. A major fundraising drive raised 1.1 million dollars.
1986: The new Hutton House, now known as the Hutton House Main Building opened. The Hutton House Gift Shop also opened in a nearby plaza.
May 1989: The Shoppe in the Park, a seasonal retail store opened in Springbank Park.
1992: The name of the Association was changed to London Association for Disabled Adults. Vocational services and supports were provided to 60 individuals daily, adult education to 29 students and recreation programs to over 200 individuals.
1994: The Retail Careers Training Program began; funded by Human Resources Development Canada. It was located beside the Hutton House Gift Shop in the nearby plaza. The Main Building continued to operate businesses – pottery wholesale, contract and mailing and computer database services. Programs in literacy basic skills, weaving and leisure were also offered.
October 1997: The 2 retail shops were combined and relocated at Westmount Shopping Centre as the Hutton House Gift Shop.
1998: The Access Voluntarism program was established through a Trillium Foundation grant.
1999: Day Break was established, funded by the Ministry of Health. Youth En Route commenced in partnership with the Thames Valley Children’s Centre and funded by Human Resources Development Canada.
2000: Hutton House Foundation was established.
2002: The Hutton House Learning Centre opened in Cherryhill Village Mall, accommodating Access Voluntarism, Adult Education, the Employment Support Program, Youth En Route, and the regional expansion of Youth En Route to the counties of Oxford, Elgin, Huron, Perth, Grey and Bruce. The Hutton House Gift Shop closed.
2003: The sheltered workshop at the Main Building closed. ARTworks and LIFEworks were introduced and a smaller gift shop opened at the Main Building.
2006: The Day Break program moved to a new location at Ann Street.
2007: The Fitness program was introduced.
2008: The Adult Literacy Series, created through the Adult Education program is launched. The Life Coaching for Women program is introduced. Overall, 528 individuals participate in Hutton House programs.
2009: The Employment Services creates a video about “Self Determination.”
2010: A Healthy Living program, focused on nutrition and wellness is introduced. Volunteers continue to play an important role at Hutton House, contributing over 3,000 hours. Starbucks Coffee Company wins the Ability First Champions Award for its work with Hutton House since 2005 in hiring and retaining staff with disabilities.
2011: Hutton House supports an all-time high of 748 participants. Access Voluntarism volunteers contribute 16,500 hours of community service within London. 80 participants in Employment Services obtain jobs. Extensive renovations to the Main Building are completed – funded by a grant from the Infrastructure Stimulus Fund.
2013: Hutton House celebrates its 60th Anniversary.
About the Hutton House Name
In 1834, the property where the Main Building is today, was purchased by Richard Elliott. At that time it is likely that there was a log school and four log houses located in clearings surrounded by a dense forest. The name Hutton was given to the school because of an uncle of Judge Elliott. Apparently, “Daddy Hutton” lived close to the school and was well loved by all the students.